PRODUCT & PACKAGING SUSTAINABILITY
We think our best footprint is the one you never see. Conserving natural resources by reusing and recycling product materials and packaging is helping to reduce our impact on the earth.
- Shoe boxes and packaging are made from 100% recycled materials (85% post- consumer/15% pre-consumer).
- Package printing uses soy-based inks.
- One-piece shoe box construction reduces material consumption and the use of water-based adhesives.
- Tissue paper is 100% post-consumer recycled.
- Shoe stuffers are 100% post-consumer recycled “egg crate” inserts.
- Shipping cartons are made from 100% recycled content. Inbound cartons are reused and eventually recycled.
ENERGY SAVINGS & RECYCLING
Renewable energy costs more, but the investment we’re making today is helping fund the greener technologies of tomorrow—not to mention making our skies a little bit bluer.
- Since 2007, we’ve been one of the largest purchasers of renewable energy in the state of Michigan.
- We recycle batteries, cell phones, glass and paper.
- We sponsor biannual electronic recycling drives.
- We’ve eliminated printed reports and replaced old, inefficient printers with efficient duplex printers.
In addition to our conservation and recycling efforts, we’ve undertaken a number of green initiatives to protect and preserve our favorite place to be—outside.
- We’ve created 3.5 miles of walking trails on our Rockford, MI campus.
- Composting our yard waste fertilizes our flower beds and minimizes the use of pesticides.
- We’ve planted wildflowers and placed birdhouses in various areas to attract and preserve wild life.
- Our employees are encouraged to participate in Bike-to-Work Weeks and monthly summer rides.
- We use green cleaning technology wherever possible, including eco-friendly equipment, chemicals, paper and other supplies.
- Our cafeteria composts all food waste and uses biodegradable and compostable plates, cups and utensils.
PEOPLE AND COMMUNITY
Treating our people and communities with respect is important to us. Each year we donate aid and thousands of employee hours in support of community organizations and causes. We care about our neighbors and colleagues.
Each Merrell office around the world does local community service projects ranging from volunteering in grade schools to trail clean ups
- Since 1958 we’ve championed charitable education, environment, youth and family organizations
- We donate returned and gently used footwear and apparel to a roster of aid and human service organizations.
- We and our parent company, Wolverine World Wide, uphold the highest standards of labor practices, including human and workers’ rights in all aspects of our supply chain.
- We work closely with each vendor to ensure that their factories provide a safe and healthy working environment for all employees.
GIVING OUR BEST
Over the years, we’ve made donations to relief efforts and charitable organizations around the world. We believe we’re at our best when we lend a hand to those who need our help.
- Thanks to our creative spin on fundraising, including holding adventure races, massage events and even cookbook sales, we have the highest rate of employee contributions to West Michigan’s United Way, raising $585,000 in 2010.
- Our donations to the Soles4Souls program includes 4,000 pairs of shoes sent to Haiti and more than 4,000 pairs to Japan and Alabama disaster relief.
- We donate thousands of gently used returns and samples to local organizations, like Goodwill and the Women’s Resource Center every year.
- We also support our community through donations to the Two Ten Footwear Foundation.